These are some of the common questions we have encountered with homebuyers.
Let us break it down…
What is a home inspection?
A vital step in buying a home, especially for first-time homebuyers. A qualified Home Inspector will examine your home with a trained eye, looking for any deficiencies you may not catch on your own. This is typically a thorough analysis of the physical structure and systems of a home, from the roof to the foundation.
Am I required to get a home inspection done?
Technically no, but we do not advise skipping it. Even in a competitive market, there are ways you can fit one in if you are planning on putting an offer down on a home. Speak to your real-estate agent to find out what your options are.
Here are three very important reasons why we think you should get a home inspection:
1. Home inspections can uncover potentially life-threatening problems such as mold or defective wiring that could potentially cause a fire.
2. A home inspection can forecast potential future costs to help you budget for upcoming expenses. Home Inspectors are able to identify the current condition structures in the home and provide you with an approximate “shelf life”.
3. A Home Inspector is a valuable resource. After conducting their examination, they will be able to provide you with specific advice on how to maintain the home, which could potentially save you thousands of dollars in the end.
Can my dad do the inspection? He’s very handy.
It is wonderful that someone in your family is well versed in trades that can help when purchasing a home. However, I would leave this one for the professionals. Keep in mind, this is likely the biggest purchase of your life and you would not want anything to be overlooked.
Here is how to choose a Home Inspector:
· See what kind of qualifications, certifications and training they have
· Do they have any referrals/references?
· How long have they been in the industry?
· Check out their reviews
To learn more about the benefits of a Home Inspection and how to complete one in this market, reach out today!